Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Evidence #9: (You can still) Rock in Animerica (Animerica Vol.1 No.6)

Wow....Its been a while... (BTW, if I still lived in Raleigh, I probably could have worked at Walnut Creek with my old job and been listing to this from the parking lot. McLaurin, I loved thee.)

So yea, I have not done one of these show and tells for quite some time, I have had a lot happen with my second semester starting back in school and other things, which has kept me busy. But, I have not forgotten this blogs roots, of showing people my collection of past Japanese Animation Publications from long ago. So for this piece of evidence, we go back to August of 1993.

For this issue, we have the Animerica volume with the Masamune Shirow cover on the front. This has segments of an interview with Shirow, and interview with Miyazaki, ad's, manga  inserts and everything in between. So take a gander and sit back and enjoy.








Here we got our word from Trish Ledoux and the interview with Shirow. Funny how she mentions she did dubbing again with Outlanders.... because I have that on VHS, or should I say I got the tape from Amazon.com because I had to know how she sounded as a dub voice actor. Suffice to say, I enjoyed the dub, as cheesy as it sounds. I kept trying to picture in my head the Trish I met at Animazement '09/'10 to the Trish of 1993 voicing for Princess Kahm. It was like she had to dig deep down inside herself to pull out the "Vally-Girl-Wannabe-Tiffany Grant" persona to pull off this role. If her and me cross paths again, she is going to sign my tape, which I don't think she would have a problem with.







Here is what the word is on the anime street corner with info of Riding Bean being dubbed, new releases in Japan and in the states, Ikegami coming to Comic Con, Gundam 0083 in comic form, and much more.





Here is the second part to the Miyazaki inteview, with a Porco Rosso color comic.


Here we got some letters to Animerica and whats on the next issue.






 Of course, who could forget about those anime ad's? Oh Dark Image, I have to wonder if owning your dub to Devilman would be worth my time on amazon.com? I guess one could only hope, when I feel like spending funds for those tapes off amazon...dot com.

Speaking of comics, here is a couple with AD Police and Mermaid Forest:


















Well, I think that is going to be it for now. Again, sorry for the lack of material for magazines like these, I am still working on obtaining more, but also I do have a lot to show for, so I am not hurting at all right now. But, I got assignments to do for school so I need to get cracking on that, but I'll see you guys later.

4 comments:

  1. Shirow was a high school teacher? I don't really know what I think of that... Anyway, thanks for the scans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the reply.

    I have a scanner now, just trying to get it set up, so I don't have to use my camera for ghetto looking pictures. I have to have "some" professionalism at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha, I'm sorry. I called them scans out of habit. I wasn't joking or anything. I really am happy to have pictures like this since while I watched anime here and there in the early nineties I had no idea magazines like Animerica existed. Lets me get a look at stuff I missed.

      Delete
  3. Ah, don't worry about it, its cool.

    If you enjoyed this, I have several others on the blog you can check out. I've read Animerica here and there in the past decade before they went out of style, but I got into collecting these old prints and from other old anime publications within the past few years. I think in due time, I will post up some of my own Newtype USA issues since I got about 2 years worth in a box that I may or may not ever get rid of.

    Thanks for being a fan.

    ReplyDelete